BankSA Statewide Under 17
Sturt and Country Black winners of the BankSA Shield for 2014
After an exciting five days of cricket the BankSA Under 17 Shield has come to an end with the remainder of the carnival called off due to the extreme heat. We saw some outstanding team and individual performances on display over the competition, and this carnival provides a great mechanism for our high performance department and selectors to watch the ‘best against the best’ and give players an opportunity at higher levels. As the final of the competition has been abandoned, as per the grade cricket bylaws the team that finishes on the top of each zone are announced as joint winner. As this is the case, congratulations to Sturt and Country Black on being the joint winners of the BankSA Under 17 Shield for 2014.
Congratulations to the below award recipients.
To view all of the match results please click here.
Outstanding individual batting performances:
Charlie Holmes (Kensington): 106*
Outstanding individual bowling performances:
Timothy Oakley (Tea Tree Gully): 7/13
Harry Thoman (Woodville): 6/18
Thomas Carey (West Torrens): 5/5
Jack Kessell (Port Adelaide): 5/19
Charlie Holmes (Kensington) – 272 runs
Tom Hawthorne (Country Black) – 15 wickets
Wicket Keeping Trophy
Alex Reardon (SACA U15)
BankSA Under 17 Shield: Team of the Year
1. Charlie Holmes (Kensington) – 272 runs, H.S – 106*, Average: 68
2. Cameron Pritchard (Prospect) – 156 runs, H.S – 56, Average: 39/9 wickets
3. Ben Pengelley (Country Red) – 153 runs, H.S – 96, Average: 38
4. Wade Matthews (Prospect) – 171 runs, H.S – 72, Average: 57
5. Nicholas Palmer (Kensington) – 172 runs, H.S – 64*, Average: 43
6. Matthew Walmsley-Pace (Glenelg) – 147 runs, H.S – 86, Average: 36/9 wickets
7. Captain: Spinning all-rounder - Joel Thiele (Sturt): 12 wickets, B.B: 4/36 - 143 runs, H.S – 87
8. Wicketkeeper - Alex Reardon (SACA U15)
9. Pace all-rounder - Jack Kessell (Port Adelaide) – 12 wickets, B.B: 5/19 – 131 runs, H.S – 41
10. Tom Hawthorne (Country Black): 15 wickets, B.B: 4/11, Average: 7.6
11. Liam Thompson (Glenelg) – 14 wickets, B.B: 4/19, Average: 7.3
12. Jarrett Wilson (SAMCA) – 12 wickets, B.B: 4/42, Average: 11.92
Coach: Brad Inglis (Country Black)
Monday 6 January to Thursday 16 January 2014
The BankSA Shield, an Under 17 competition run by the SACA, will enter its 66th season when teams meet for a two week carnival in January 2014. Commencing in 1947/48, the carnival originally consisted of ten District teams and two country teams in what was known as the District Schoolboys Competition. This competition continued to grow and in 1973/74 was renamed as the Shell Shield. At this time, the competition consisted of 12 District club teams and two country teams. The carnival was held over a period of three weeks with each team playing 11 matches. The team that won the most number of matches was declared the winner of the carnival.
The competition is now known as the BankSA Shield and consists of sixteen teams, comprising twelve Grade clubs, SACA’s Under 15’s, a team representing Community Cricket and two country teams. Players in the two country teams have been selected based on their performance during the BankSA Under 16 Country Carnival held in Adelaide during December.
Teams are divided into two zones and play seven matches plus a round of finals to determine the placing for all teams. In a competition initiative, teams will play a Twenty20 double header on day one against different opposition. The two leading teams then play in a Grand Final on the last day of the carnival to determine the overall winner.